So Donald Trump and other Republicans are once again using the “mentally ill” excuse for mass shootings. Normally liberals would scoff at this, as it protects the gun industry and the NRA from scrutiny and keeps the political contributions coming into right-wing politicians. However this could be an opportunity for compromise. Can we all agree that we need to keep guns away from the mentally ill? Good! Then here’s a handy-dandy list I made to get us started:
- If you try to buy an assault-style rifle—you are most likely mentally ill.
- If you try to buy multiple high-capacity guns—so you can stand up to America’s government if it suddenly becomes tyrannical (like Hitler’s government)—you are most likely mentally ill.
- If you try to buy more than a basic handgun and a couple of hunting rifles (antiques excluded)—you are most likely mentally ill.
- If you try to buy more rounds of ammunition than a hunter would typically use during a hunting season (including target practice)—you are most likely mentally ill.
- If you try to buy specialized killing-enhanced ammunition—you are most likely mentally ill.
So Republicans, how about it? Can you at least pass legislation requiring a strict mental health exam before anyone is allowed to make the above purchases?
If not, how about just being honest and telling the American people that you value your guns more than you value human life.